Gone Travlin' - Blog


Swimming in the Mediterranean

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

After another long sleep in we packed our left over chicken in to a bag with our togs and books, before heading to the beach. We found a (semi) shady seat and had chicken baguettes by the sea. Ahhh! We then walked up the l’antique Chataeu, somewhere we had tried to go 2 nights earlier but found it was closed. I’m so glad we went back! It is a huge park on top of one of the hills by the sea, and has stunning views over most of Nice. We even stopped to watch a big ship come in to port (Maarty is a huge fan of big boats). We wandered around for a couple of hours before deciding we were both more than ready for a well earned swim in the Mediterranean. I was first in and after about 2 seconds of cold, I discovered that the water was just lovely. I can’t even remember the last time I swam in the sea (well, before snorkelling in Thailand, anyway), as I always get far to cold, and I don’t like not being able to see through the water. Well, no problems like that here! If I had wanted to, I could have stayed in for hours, as it was the perfect temperature (Mum, I think even you would have been able to cope!) and it is so clear that even when the water is over your head (which happens very quickly as it is very steep) you can still see the bottom. My kind of sea! There are hardly any waves either, just a gently lapping up to the stony beach and medium sized swells where we were. We’ll definitely be swimming more over the next week or so, I can assure you!
As we were finishing up at the beach, we decided to catch the train to Cannes, as it is only a 40 minute train ride down the coast. After seeing that a train was about to depart we raced on board… only to end up sitting in an un-airconditioned carriage for over 20 minutes, without even leaving the station! We then found out that the train had broken down, with JUST enough time to catch the next totally full train. Oh well, never mind. We had a look round Cannes for a couple of hours – the beach is very nice there… sandy as opposed to stony like Nice. We looked at the boats there too, although it wasn’t quite as impressive as Monaco, before heading back to the hotel, totally exhausted. A stroke of luck got us a far quicker train though, only taking 15 minutes this time, as it was direct. We have spent the last hour just hanging out, reading and updating the diary, and are shortly going to head out for dinner, possible to the same place as last night.

posted by Maarty @ 12:00 pm,

2 Comments:

At Friday, 19 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! Its Tabz!

I am so bloody jealous of these pictures. Do you know what they had me doing at work today...cleaning cupboards!!! Swimming in some beautiful big pool sounds fab. Are you sure you don't need someone to take pictures, hold your bags or anything really as long as it involves hours of beautiful long swims and plenty of heat.

Best fly i spose (since this is only ment to be a comment!)

I don't know if you know but my email address is SchaapT@conwag.com.

Talk soon and take care,
Tabz

 
At Friday, 19 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so glad you are having such a wonderful trip It reminds us of so many places we saw.
Love Grandma and Grandad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home